Saturday, June 16, 2018 Summer Picnic/Tour
When: Saturday, June 16, 2017 – 10 AM to lunch & beyond? (tour/demo at 10AM)
Who: Ken and Bonnie Miller’s Family Tree Farm @ 11801 Tilley Rd S, Olympia
What: REHAB ON TOUGH GROUND – FOOLS ERRAND/MISSION IMPOSSIBLE?
- 10 AM Tour of recent winter rehab harvest, site prep, road & trail building, afforestation planting (including failures) multiple conifer species experimenting with really wet ground. Halfway through tour an option to:
- Take nature walk through Millersylvania State Park old-growth like forest, including the biggest tree in park, or
- Continue regeneration harvest tour to view NRCS cost share approved Pre-Commercial Thinning sites: a hardwood dominated site with Cedar understory; & and a dense Oregon Ash stand.
Josh Himsl from NRCS will help describe cost share options for Afforestation and PCT (including his thoughts on “how to” in mixed stands). It’s hoped tour participants will also share their thoughts/experience on overly wet sites. About 1 hour walking over dry ground and about 1 hour talking/listening – Utility vehicle ride along available if needed.
- 12:00 Noon - Burgers & Dogs Picnic – Please bring a favorite salad or dessert.
- 1:30 PM – Your option to continue socializing; look around the home place; &/or discussing more of the above.
Directions: From North: I-5 south to exit # 99; then left back over freeway on 93rd (also called State Highway #121 South) to 2nd 4 way stop sign (at Tilley Road); then right (south) on Tilley 2.5 miles to driveway (& mailbox) on right at 11801 Tilley Road; follow single lane gravel road through park 1.3 miles to dead end in our tree farm.
From South: I-5 north to exit # 95; then right on Maytown Road (also called State Highway #121 North) about 2 miles to stop sign where road ends at Tilley Road; then left (north) on Tilley 1.1 miles to driveway (& mailbox) on left at 11801 Tilley Road; follow single lane gravel road through park 1.3 miles to dead end in our tree farm.